Of course, Jim Thompson's house has many more beautiful treasures, but these Lotus Flowers are definitely a nice bonus for me.
The Lotus Flower's Uniqueness
The Lotus Flowers symbolize long life, good health, the utmost honor, and best of luck. Lotus Flowers are also admired for their rarity. They grow in muddy water, or a lot of water. Their leaves and huge flower-petals sit on top of the water surface, while their roots are bury under the soil. The extraordinary behaviors of the Lotus Flowers allow them to fold-up and hide underwater at night, then rises again on top of the water surface at dawn. Asians, and Buddhism believe the unique trait of the Lotus Flowers provide them protection from the impurity and contamination. This particular type of Lotus Flower is called Sunflower. See below how the Lotus Flower tubers look and How to Grow Lotus Flower Tubers in a Pot.
How to Grow Lotus Flower Tubers in a Pot
1) Find at least a 12 inch diameter pot and filled with soil. Leaving six inches of room from top of pot to soil.
2) A healthy Lotus Flower tuber has to have two nodes (the white sections), with at least one spike of growth (the brown).
3) Bury the Lotus Flower Tuber with the spikes facing up.
4) Fill the pot with water so that you have achieved 3 to 4 inches of water above the soil surface.
5) Option: You may lightly spread some small stones on top of the soil, then (proceed with step 4) fill with water from three to four inches above the soil.