Looking for a place to vacation? If you haven't been to Puerto Rico - then there's never a better time. Puerto Rico is another country yet you do not need a passport to travel directly to and from the United States. That's because *Puerto Rico belongs to the United States under the Treat of Paris, and Puerto Ricans are United State citizens.
If you are familiar with San Juan, Puerto Rico and its tropical weather you know its more than just a big city with hotels and resorts. In Hatillo particularly, a community that isn't as touristy like San Juan, you can experience all the excitement through adventures and sight-seeing wonders like the Rio Camuy Caves.
My sister has been to Hatillo a few times more than I did have done amazing things there. Here are the 10 things she recommends to do in Hatillo:
- Sardinera Beach, Hatillo, 5 minutes away from the house
- The Camuy River Cave Park, 15 minutes from Hatillo
- Bacardi Rum Factory Tour, Old San Juan (2-3 hours tour), should be combined with Old San Juan
- Old San Juan Tour, Visit the Forte, shopping, dinning, art, city light at night
- Rain Forest, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, 1 of World 7 Wonders. All day tour.
- Atlantic Surf & Bodyboarding School, for beginners, 10 minutes from the house Carr. 653 | Urb. Jardines Calle P-U2, Arecibo 00612, Puerto Rico
- Crashboat Beach, Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, 20 Minutes from the house, snorkeling, surfing, food carts
- Cabo Rojo,…voted one of the “Best beaches in the Caribbean 2014"
- Cueva Ventana, Arecibo, 15 minutes from the house. It's a large cave situated a top a limestone cliff in Arecibo, Puerto Rico, overlooking the Río Grande de Arecibo valley. The 2009 Disney Channel Original Movie Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie was shot inside the cave as well as a land that sits in the Río Grande de Arecibo valley in front of the mountain where the cave resides between February and March 2009. In 2011, the cave was used as one of the settings for the 2012 British TV miniseries Treasure Island. The most recent movie filmed inside Cueva Ventana is the 2013 film Runner, Runner starring Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck, which was filmed in the summer of 2012.
- Bioluminescent Bay, Fajardo (often called Bio Bay) is Puerto Rico’s key tourist destinations. The water luminescence is triggered by dinoflagellates, oceanic plankton which is able to generate an emerald green and ultramarine illumination when water is physically disturbed. Dinoflagellates are incredibly delicate microorganisms and are very sensible to the environment conditions such as balance of salt in the water, local climate, deepness of lagoon, air and water pollution, etc. Each one of these the aspects make bio bay a one of a kind, vulnerable ecosystem. 2.
- Mosquito Bay, fluorescent beach Mosquito Bay is located in Vieques on the south central coast of Vieques National Wildlife Refuge. Vieques National Wildlife Refuge is a small island 8-miles east of Puerto Rico’s main island. It is said to be the most beautiful and brightly glowing of Puerto Rico’s three such bays. The island is part of Puerto Rico and easily reached by boat with a tour company that will then take you kayaking in the bay at night to experience the glow. The ideal way to enjoy this rare phenomenon is to visit on a night when there is very little moonlight and to head to a darker area of the bay. Your tour guides will expertly explain what causes the glow.
When SO and I were in Puerto Rico for vacation, we stayed at a furnished home in a gated community. It backs up to the ocean, literally 5 minutes walk past the community's pool. Staying in a furnished home gives me the freedom to cook when I wanted to.This is going to sound nuts as I want to take a vacation that is relaxing and I don't have to slave away in the kitchen. But, it's not easy to get accustomed to food from a different culture on your one week vacation. Bottom line about vacations is I love everything about it except strange tasting food - I don't feel full unless my taste is satisfied. Being able to whip up just one meal a day that is to our taste, is in line with pure indulgence...like a vacation should be. But once we are used to the taste, there are amazing dishes like the pasteles pictured above.
Private 4 Bedroom House Located In A Gated Community. 2 Car Attached Garage, Nice Long Private Driveway. The House Is Fully Equipped And Offers 2 1/2 Bath. Costa Norte Subdivision Was Built In Front Of The Atlantic Ocean. Community Area Includes: Pool, Gazebo With Picnic Area, Charcoal Grill And Showers. Basketball Court, Tennis Court, Playground. Free Wifi, Cable Channels. Air Units And Ceiling Fans. Patio In Back Of The House And A Small Balcony In The Master Bedroom Which Has Its Own Private Full Bath.
Source: Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_RicoWikipediaTechnically, Puerto Rico belongs to the US
*food photo credit: rockinmama.net