1. Never give out your private information, credit cards numbers, bank account number, birthdays, etc. Compare the credit cards and pick one with a low limit to use on the internet transactions. Chose a good credit card company that has Fraud Protection & zero liability.
2. Don't click on any URL, or open any mail attachment unless it's sent by your friends, or sites you’ve subscribed to. If you just can’t help being curious, retype the URL into the browser yourself.
3. Scan your computer once a day for any files or folders you don’t recognize. It is easier to spot something that is not yours if you’re consistent and know how you have labeled your files and folders.
4. Make sure your computer is protected by anti-virus software. Pay attention to the messages on the bottom right of your screen, especially the messages from your update virus scanner and Microsoft.
5. Never respond to emails that offer you money for doing something easy or for work at home with request for address, name and phone number. Always cross check with other trusted sites online.
6. Buy from websites that protect your privacy, or check the url bar for "https." Use a throw away email if you have to fill out a form on a site to finish a download. Create an extra email from Google Mail or YahooMail.
7. Never download soft wares using peer to peer networks and don't install their soft wares.
8. Keep individual passwords for the sites that really matter (ie. your banking sites, e-mail, etc…) You don’t want all your accounts to be compromised if one is exploited. For example, it is not a good idea to make your FaceBook password the same as your online banking account!
9. Turn off the wireless and blue-tooth connections on your laptop when you are not using it. Don’t leave your computer connected to a hotel network or public WIFI more than you need to be. It is very easy for people to find your personal information.
10. Turn on your pop up browser blocker. Not only are they annoying but a great way of transporting malware.
I am pleased that you came to visit today. Thank you~