With everything you do for other people, including your boss, your family and your friends, it’s time to do a few things that are just for you.
1. Spend time with the right people. Make sure to surround yourself with people you enjoy being around and who appreciate you. You should feel encouraged and inspired by the people in your life. The people around you should also share in your interests, whether that’s surfing, vintage cars or music by Steve Wynn.
2. Face your problems head on. Your problems don’t define you; the way you react to them does. Problems don’t disappear on their own; they need to be dealt with.
3. Be honest with yourself about everything. Face what’s true as well as what has to change. Be honest about the things you want to achieve and the person you want to become.
4. Make your happiness a priority. Your needs matter, believe it or not! You have to value yourself, look out for yourself, and be your own best friend.
5. Be yourself, genuinely, and be proud of yourself. Don’t waste your time trying to be someone else or trying to live up to someone else’s expectations. Embrace your individuality, your strengths, and your ideas.
6. Notice the present and choose to live there. This is the only moment that’s guaranteed. Don’t worry about how things will be in the future or what happened in the past.
7. Value the lessons that you learn from your mistakes. These are how you get to progress! You have to fail from time to time; that’s how you know that you’re trying hard enough.
8. Be polite to yourself. Don’t speak to yourself in a way that you don’t want others to speak to you. The way you treat yourself will set the standard for others.
9. Enjoy the things you have instead of wishing that you had more things. Don’t assume that you’ll be happy when you finally each a certain level. Instead, practice being happy now, with the things that you’re lucky enough to have at this moment.
10. Create your own happiness. Don’t wait for someone else to make you happy. Choose to be happy, to smile and to enjoy your life as it is right now.
11. Give your dreams a chance to come to fruition. You don’t get all the chances you want, but you can choose to take those chances instead. You don’t have to be 100% positive it’ll work; that wouldn’t be possible to determine anyway.
12. Believe that you’re ready to move forward. Wherever you are in your life, you have what you need to take the next step. Embrace and accept the challenges.
It’s difficult to prioritize your own needs, but it’s extremely important to do so. When you take care of yourself first, your life and relationships with your loved ones will improve.
Image credit: http://www.isobelmcarthur.com