5 Things You Must Ask When Choosing a Real Estate Agent
1. What types of properties do you handle? Each type of real estate has its own specific ins and outs. If you're looking at downtown Seattle condos for sale, you'll want to be sure your real estate agent handles condos.
2. What locations do you handle? Each real estate market also has specific nuances, so it's imperative your agent is familiar with the neighborhoods and general area you're interested in. For instance, a real estate agent who knows what condos are generally selling for in a given area can let you know if a price is a good deal or not.
3. How long have you been a real estate agent? How many years an agent has been in the industry is just the beginning. For instance, if a realtor only works part-time, they may not have the in-depth knowledge of someone who works in the market full time. Similarly, find out how many clients the agent has worked with who have needs similar to yours.
4. Do you have other areas of expertise? If you're a first-time buyer, you'll want someone who is used to a little hand holding throughout the process. Similarly, if you're a military veteran, you'll want an agent who has experience working with financing through Veteran's Affairs (VA). If you have a particular circumstance, ask if the realtor has experience with it.
5. Do you have a list of references? A real estate agent will naturally put their best foot forward. Speaking to past clients can give you a more objective perspective.
Ask these five questions and you're much more likely to choose a real estate agent you'll be happy with.